foundation truthlesson 19 - Divine Healing
One of the great truths in the Old and New Testaments is the Doctrine of Divine Healing. Divine Healing is not to be confused with Faith Healing. Faith is the channel by which healing is received. The source of healing is that which determines whether or not it is divine.
ARE SICKNESSES AND DISEASES A BLESSING OR A CURSE?
- They are called a curse. Deuteronomy 28:1,61
- Sin and sickness came upon the human race because of Adam’s disobedience. Romans 5:12
- Christ redeemed us from the curse at Calvary. Galatians 3:13.
WHAT ARE SOME DIFFERENT SOURCES OF HEALING?
- Natural healing. Proverbs 17:22. The human body itself has a healing ministry.
- Medical healing. Matthew 9:12. Throughout history, there have been physicians who have ministered to the physical needs of people.
- Divine healing. Psalm 103:1-4. This aspect of healing is when God overrules both nature and man to bring forth healing.
WHAT IS THE SOURCE OF DIVINE HEALING?
The atonement. Isaiah 53; Matthew 8:16-17. By healing in the atonement, we mean that Jesus Christ not only bore our sins but also our sicknesses in His body on the cross. I Peter 2:24; Galatians 3:13.
WHAT ARE SOME OLD TESTAMENT TYPES OF HEALING?
- Passover Lamb. Exodus 12; Psalm 105:37, Il Chronicles 30:20
- Brazen Serpent. Numbers 21; John 3:14
- Healing Covenant. Exodus 15:26
WHAT ARE SOME EXAMPLES OF HEALING IN JESUS’ MINISTRY?
- The healing ministry of Christ:
- Nobleman’s son – John 4:46-54
- Infirmed man – John 5:1-9
- Peter’s mother-in-law – Matthew 8:14-17
- A leper – Matthew 8:24
- Centurion’s servant -Matthew 8:5-31
- Two blind men – Matthew 9:27-31
- Deaf and dumb man – Mark 7:31-37; Mark 8:23
- The ministry of the twelve apostles. Matthew 10:1-11
- The ministry of the seventy disciples. Luke 10:1-24
- The ministry of the early church. Mark 16:14-20; Acts 5:12, 16, 19:11-12
Jesus healed multitudes of people, but He seldom healed two people in exactly the same way. The one word that stands out in the healing ministry of Jesus is “variety.”
HOW DID JESUS HEAL PEOPLE?
- Spoke the Word – Matthew 8:8, 13
- Rebuked the sickness – Luke 4:39
- Touched him – Matthew 8:13
- Put mud on his eyes – John 9:6-7
- Spit on him – Mark 8:23
- Spit and touched him – Mark 7:33
HOW MAY HEALING BE RECEIVED?
- Faith in Christ – Hebrews 11:6, Mark 6:5
- Prayer of faith and anointing with oil – James 5:14
- Laying on of believer’s hands – Mark 16:17
- Prayer cloths – Acts 19:12
- Sending of the Word – Psalm 107:20; Matthew 8:8
- Gifts of the Spirit – I Corinthians 12:9-10
- The Lord’s table – I Corinthians 11:23-32
WHAT ARE SOME HINDRANCES TO HEALING?
- Sin – Isaiah 59:2; Matthew 13:15
- Unbelief – Mark 6:5; Matthew 13:58
- An unforgiving spirit-Matthew 6:14-15, 5:23-24
- Abuse of our bodies – I Corinthians 3:16-17; Philippians 2:25-30
- Not discerning the Lord’s Body – I Corinthians 11:29-33
- Satanic resistance – Daniel 10:12-13
- Strained husband and wife relationship – I Peter 3:7
For $10 a month you can help spread the gospel around the world.
About the Author: Dr. Dale Yerton
Dr. Yerton serves as an overseer of a network of churches across the world. What began as a network of six church groups representing 500 churches in Mexico has grown into an international ministry.
He and Evelyn, his wife over fifty years, live in Hopkinsville, Kentucky. They have two daughters: Lora–married to the Rev. Vince Farrell, pastors of Journey Church in Hopkinsville, Kentucky–and Kari—also of Hopkinsville–and are the proud grandparents of Emma and Bennett Farrell.