foundation truthlesson 17-Manifestation gifts
In this lesson, we shall study the gifts of the Holy Spirit. No church will find the completeness God intended without the manifestation of the gifts for the edifying of the body. I Corinthians 12:1-11
WHAT SHOULD BE OUR ATTITUDE TOWARD THE GIFTS OF THE HOLY SPIRIT?
- Not to be ignorant – I Corinthians 12:1
- Not to be neglected – I Timothy 4:14
- To desire – I Corinthians 12:31
- To be stirred up – II Timothy 1:6
WHAT ARE THE THREE GROUPINGS OF THE GIFTS OF THE HOLY SPIRIT?
- Revelation Gifts (To Know)
- Wisdom—the gift of the Word of Wisdom is the God-given ability to perceive supernatural wisdom from God when it is needed.
- Knowledge—the gift of the Word of Knowledge is the Godgiven ability to receive from God by revelation facts and information which are humanly impossible to know.
- Discerning of Spirits—the gift of Discerning of Spirits is the God-given ability to recognize what spirit is behind different manifestations or activities. The gift also includes the Godgiven ability to challenge or cope with the spirits.
- Power Gifts (To Do)
- Faith—the gift of Faith is a God-given ability to believe God for the impossible.
- Healings—the gift of Healings is the God-given ability to impart healing for the physical body at specific times.
- Miracles—the gift of Miracles is a God-given ability to perform the impossible. The gift of faith usually pertains to the material world, the gifts of healings pertain to the natural world, and the gift of miracles pertains to the spiritual world.
- Vocal Gifts (To Speak)
- Tongues—The gift of Tongues is a God-given ability that enables a believer to speak in a language that he doesn’t know.
- Interpretation—the gift of the Interpretation of Tongues is the God-given ability to bring forth in a known tongue a message to the church which was given to the church through the gift of Tongues.
- Prophecy—the gift of Prophecy is the ability to speak forth an inspired message from God. Prophecy is not the same as preaching.
WHAT DO THE GIFTS OF THE HOLY SPIRIT ACCOMPLISH?
- Build up, edify – I Corinthians 14:3-5; 12, 26, 33, 40
- Establish – Romans 1:11
- Profit – I Corinthians 12:7
- Prove Jesus‘ Resurrection – Mark 16:17-20
DOES EVERY BELIEVER HAVE THE NINE GIFTS OF THE HOLY SPIRIT?
- Read I Corinthians 12:4-11, 14-18; Ephesians 4:16
- The obvious flow of the Scriptures is that no man is complete in himself; we need each other. I am only one member of the Body of Christ. Collectively, the Local Church makes up the Body of Christ. I Corinthians 12:27
- There are exceptions to the rule, but only when God has no one else will He manifest all nine gifts through one person.
- No! The Scripture teaches that the Holy Spirit gives the gifts individually as He wills, I Corinthians 12:11. All the gifts are resident in the Holy Spirit, and He may manifest any of these gifts at any time in special situations. However, God has placed these gifts in the many-membered Body of Christ, not in just one individual member.
WHAT ARE SOME ILLUSTRATIONS OF THESE GIFTS?
- Word of Wisdom – II Peter 3:15; Daniel 5:11; Proverbs 8:22-30
- Word of Knowledge – Acts 13:9-11; Ezekiel 43:7; Hosea 12:10
- Faith – Romans 15:18-19; I Kings 17:14; Acts 3:4-16
- Gifts of Healing – Acts 14:8-10; Acts 5:15; Acts 28:8-10
- Working of Miracles – Acts 20:9-12; II Kings 4:1-7; II Kings 2:11
- Prophecy – I Corinthians 14:6; Jeremiah 33:11; Revelation 19:10
- Discerning of spirits – Acts 16:16-18; Matthew 7:15-20; I John 4:1
- Diverse Kinds of Tongues – I Corinthians 14:18; Acts 2:1-17
- Interpretation of Tongues – I Corinthians 14:13; Daniel 5:25-28
HOW MAY GIFTS OF THE HOLY SPIRIT BE RECEIVED?
- By receiving the Giver of the gifts of the Holy Spirit. Acts 1:4
- As the Spirit wills. I Corinthians 12:11; Hebrews 2:4
- By coveting earnestly the best gifts. I Corinthians 12:31
- By laying on of hands and prophecy. Romans 1:11; I Timothy 4:14
WHAT ARE WE TO REMEMBER CONCERNING THE OPERATION OF THE GIFTS OF THE HOLY SPIRIT?
When operating spiritual gifts, obey the moving of the Spirit. The Holy Spirit operates according to the Word of God on the basis of love and for the edification of the church.
For $10 a month you can help spread the gospel around the world.
About the Author: Dr. Dale Yerton
Dr. Yerton serves as an overseer of a network of churches across the world. What began as a network of six church groups representing 500 churches in Mexico has grown into an international ministry.
He and Evelyn, his wife over fifty years, live in Hopkinsville, Kentucky. They have two daughters: Lora–married to the Rev. Vince Farrell, pastors of Journey Church in Hopkinsville, Kentucky–and Kari—also of Hopkinsville–and are the proud grandparents of Emma and Bennett Farrell.